One occasion is awakened in my heart. After my accident and recovery, I was blessed to volunteer teaching a Surgery class at an academic institution. One day as I was heading home on the subway, an individual came and requested a gift. Not having much at all. I emptied out my wallet- about a dollar and change…I gave it all to the individual. Something said in my heart that I should pray for/with the individual which I did and the individual essentially melted into the crowd. Yes! Very possibly, it was so very busy that I lost sight, but doors started opening WIDE. Opportunities galore. Hallelujah!
Rather than dwell on this I will share:
When I am dumb enough to dwell on my ‘lack’, I laugh at my ignorance!
After an accident that would have caused many or in truth any other person to be permanently expired! I was blessed with a new lease on life…
My Prayer is:
Father, in my life Your will be done. Amen.
Yes! I am sharing this again; I have learned to listen to that still small voice within me.
There is a person who needs to read this!
Jesus said in Matthew 6:9-13 (ESV):“ Pray then like this: “Our Father in Heaven, Hallowed be Your Name. Your Kingdom come, Your will be done, here on Earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, (the next part is key) and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
Mark 11:25 “And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him/her, that your Father in Heaven may also forgive you your trespasses. But, if you do not forgive, neither will your Father in Heaven forgive your trespasses.”
Pray according to God’s Will by Praying Scripture
Have you ever wondered how to pray according to God’s Will? I know I have. After all, the apostle John said, “this is the confidence that we have in Him, that, if we ask any thing according to His will, He heareth us” (1 John 5:14).
So, how can we be sure we are asking according to God’s Will?
One way is by praying Scripture (Bible based prayers).
Praying Bible Prayers
I was unsure how to pray according to God’s Will despite many years of Bible study and going to Seminary. Then one day while studying the Bible, I noticed the prayers Paul told the Ephesians he was praying for them.
I realized that if Paul was praying these things for the Ephesians, then this must be something God wants for all of us as well. That meant I could pray it for myself. So, I started saying Bible prayers for myself, like these:
- I pray that You would grant me to be strengthened with might through Your Holy Spirit in the inner man, according to the riches of Your glory, that Christ may dwell in my heart through faith; That I may be rooted and grounded in love, (Ephesians 3:16-17)
- That I may be able to comprehend the height, depth, length and width — of the love of Christ (Ephesians 3:18)
- That I may be filled with all the fullness of God (Ephesians 3:19)
- That I may walk worthily of Your calling. That I may speak the truth in love, and walk in love (Ephesians 4:1, 15; 5:2)
- That I may be renewed in the spirit of my mind (Ephesians 4:23)
- That I may put off my corrupt old man, and put on my new man that You created in true righteousness and holiness (Ephesians 4:22, 24)
- Please give me the right words that I may boldly and confidently proclaim Your truth (Ephesians 6:19)
Then I started noticing more prayers in other books of the Bible, including the prayers of Jesus for us. So I kept adding scripture prayers to my prayer list.
If we ask anything according to His will, He heareth us1 John 5:14
Praying Bible Commands
Next, I thought about the many commands God gives us in His Word. If God wants us to do these things, then it would make sense for me to pray for God to make these things true in my life. So I started adding Bible commands as prayers, like these:
- Please help me draw near to You with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith. Cleanse me from a guilty conscience. Help me to hold firmly to the hope I profess, knowing that You who promised are faithful. Use me to spur others on toward love and good deeds. (Hebrews 10:22-24)
- Help me to throw off everything that hinders me, especially the sin that so easily entangles me. Perfect my faith and give me the endurance to keep running the race You have given me by keeping my eyes on Jesus. (Hebrews 12:1-2)
- Help me to do good, share with others, and continually praise You. (Hebrews 13:15-16)
- Enable me to always be prepared to give an answer to anyone who asks the reason for the hope that is in me. Help me to answer with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience. (1 Peter3:15-16)
- Make me clear minded and self-controlled so that I can pray. And help me to love others deeply. (1 Peter 4:7-8)
- Guide me, direct me, prepare me, strengthen me, and make me steadfast. (1 Peter 5:10)
Prayers of Praise and Thanksgiving
I then started noticing many great prayers of Thanksgiving and Praise in the Bible. So I began adding prayers of Bible praise to my prayer list, like these:
- You are the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords. You alone are immortal and live in unapproachable light. To You alone be honor and eternal might. (1 Timothy 6:15-16)
- Great and marvelous are your deeds, Lord God Almighty. Just and true are your ways, King of the ages. Who will not fear you, O Lord, and bring glory to your name? For you alone are holy. All nations will come and worship before you, for your righteous acts have been revealed. (Revelation 15:3)
- You are worthy to receive honor, glory and power, for You created all things; By Your will they were created and have their being. (Revelation 4:11)
- To You, the eternal King, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. (1Timothy 1:17)
- You, Oh LORD, are good; Your lovingkindness is everlasting And Your faithfulness continues to all generations. (Psalm 100:5)
- I will give thanks to You, O Lord my God, with all my heart, And will glorify Your name forever. For Your lovingkindness toward me is great, And You have delivered my soul from hell. You are good, and ready to forgive; abundant in lovingkindness to all who call upon You. (Psalm 86:12-13, 5)
- Thank you, Lord for all of Your benefits. You forgive all of my iniquities and heal all my diseases. You redeemed my life and crown me with lovingkindness and tender mercies. You are righteous and execute justice. You are gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in mercy. Thank you for Your great patience, and your everlasting love. (Psalm 103:2-17)
- 1 John 5:14 says that if we ask anything according to God’s Will, He hears us.
- One way to know you are praying according to God’s Will is to pray His Word back to Him by praying Bible based prayers.
- You can model your Scripture prayers based on the prayers of David, Jesus, Paul and others in God’s Word.
- You can model your Bible based prayers on God’s commands recorded in Scripture.
- You can thank and praise God based on examples of worship and thanksgiving in His Word.
- There may be other ways to pray according to God’s Will, but praying Scripture is a sure way to know your prayers are Biblical.
Praying Scripture helps me know I’m praying according to God’s Will and has made a huge impact on my spiritual life!
It works for me; maybe it will help you too.