On the Home Front
But as for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord, Amen
Being the high priest in Israel was a prestigious job, and Eli seemed suited to it. Yet he failed badly on the home front. “His sons did not follow his ways. They turned aside after dishonest gain and accepted bribes and perverted justice” 1 Samuel 8:3
How are we as parents?
As a result, God told Eli He “would judge his family forever because of the sin he knew about; his sons blasphemed against God, and he failed to restrain them” 1 Samuel 3:13
Do we in language, temperament, habits? In Love, ALL can be changed and is chanted. Love change the ALL. Here, we see “Service of The LORD does not include ‘family.’ It should! Do we not want better for our children? Even if a millionaire, trillionaire is there no higher place to be? Teach and learn as you teach. At times ‘students’ are better teachers than ‘professors’, through their eyes we ‘see’ what we may have missed and learn what we did not know about self, our teaching style/method! We are richer because of it!
As a parent and leader you need to answer this question: If God applied the same standard to you as He did to Eli, how well would you do? Eli ended up losing his credibility, his children, his career, and eventually his life. He missed the mark because he made some critical errors.
Let’s look at them and see what we can learn:
1. He had the wrong emphasis. He emphasised the Word of God to the people in his congregation—but not to his own children.
2. He had the wrong expectations. He thought his children would “get it” because they lived under his roof and worked in the church. But it doesn’t work that way.
3. He set the wrong example. Eli failed to live at home what he taught at work. He had 20/20 vision when it came to his profession, but where his family was concerned he was blind to his own weakness.
Leadership on the home front isn’t about power and control; it’s about “giving yourself” to the people who should matter most Ephesians 5:25.
So, how are you doing on the home front? This MUST be asked!
▪ I will not lower the standard of God in my life and home/family, in the name of Jesus.
▪ I reject failure in my life, home and ministry, in the name of Jesus.
▪ I and my family shall finish well, in the name of Jesus.