Nature can be the “voice” of God.
• Jesus Christ speaks to us (Hebrews 1:1-3) when we read our bibles (Psalms 119:105) wherever we might be.
• God speaks to us when we are outside riding donkeys (Numbers 22:30).
• God speaks to children when they are in their bedrooms Bedtime (1 Samuel 3:8-9).
• God speaks to us when we are outside looking at the stars (Romans 1:20).
• God speaks to us in church (Isaiah 6:1-7).
• God speaks when we are sitting beside bushes (Exodus 3:1-4).
• God speaks to us when we are asleep (Joel 2:28).
• God speaks to us deep in our inner most human spirit (Jeremiah 29:12-13).
• God speaks to us during storms, wind, earthquakes and fire (1 Kings 19:11-13).
• God speaks to us when we are sitting under trees (Jonah 4:6).
• Finally, God speaks us to in nature when everything is quiet (1 Kings 19:13).
The best way to hear God speak is to get alone and listen–especially in nature–basking in God’s creation–as long as it is quiet and peaceful where you are. Throughout history the Christian mystics have championed this practice.
To clarify this occasion:
And we see this yet again…
“As soon as Jesus was baptized, He went up out of the water. At that moment Heaven was opened, and Jesus saw The Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on Him. And a voice from Heaven said, ‘This is My Son, Whom I Love; with Him I am well pleased.” Matthew 3:16-17
David uses “thunder” as a metaphor for The voice of God. For the purpose of instruction, the reason is to make obvious the connection between something that everybody is familiar with—the powerful, reverberating sound of thunder—and The power of God’s spoken Word.
Jesus is The Son of God. He was with God The Father in the beginning. He lives in perfect harmony and unity with God The Father and The Holy Spirit. The three are one God in three ‘persons’. Jesus is The Word of God made flesh. As a huMan, He dwelt among us. Jesus was fully huMan and fully God, not half God and half huMan. God The Father, Jesus is the Son of God. He was with God the Father in the beginning. He lives in perfect harmony and unity with God the Father and the Holy Spirit. The three are one God in three persons. Jesus is the Word of God made flesh. As a human, He dwelt among us. Jesus was fully human and fully God, not half God and half human. God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit – the Trinity is truly amazing!
And we pray:
God, You are amazing! You exist in three persons, and yet You are one. You live in communion with The Spirit and Son, and You chose to allow huMans to commune with You. You sent Jesus so that He could make it so we can come before You. I worship You – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. In Jesus’ name. Amen.