We attempt to be repetitive: Why? Now? The season of loss, being locked away, shut in… Is this real?
Have you thought, known…
What is patience?
What is faith?
“Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen” Hebrews 11: 1. Faith is the connecting power into the spiritual realm, which links us with God and makes Him become a tangible reality to the sense perceptions of a person.
What is hope? Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. Romans 15:13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.
God’s Promises: 50 Powerful Bible Promises To Build Your Faith
- The Lord is good to all; He has compassion on all He has made. Psalm 145:9
- Give thanks to The Lord, for He is good; His Love endures forever. 1 Chronicles 16:34
- For The Lord is good and His Love endures forever; His faithfulness continues through all generations. Psalm 100:5
- Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from The Father of the Heavenly lights, Who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17
- Sovereign Lord, You are God! Your covenant is trustworthy, and You have promised these good things to Your servant. 2 Samuel 7:28
What did we do/not do to deserve THIS? Covid-19 affects the world! Message?
Mind you! Not a people/region/religious sect/group/nation! But everyone. Message? Read between the lines: The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ. For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body–whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free–and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.
Yet for us all there is but One God, The Father, from Whom ALL things came and for Whom we live; and there is but One Lord, Jesus Christ, through Whom ALL things came and through Whom we live.
Has Man made a virus so virulent it attacks everyone heads of state to the groveling on the street?
This has been seen in the white house! But, we need to focus on all else! Ourselves. What do our hearts truly say?
We have read Bible verses in unbelief! “That could never have happened!” “It is just a story!” “Made up!” “For real? Please.” “Fibs!”
If and when this story is told in the future, while our descendants believe it? Numbers dead, numbers sick, numbers asked to stay home! Masks?
We have seen pictures! With flimsy beliefs. “Never me…” was said. Really? And now what?
The CDC recommends wearing cloth masks for the following reasons:
- A cloth mask can help individuals cover a cough or sneeze; reducing the spread of germs.
- A cloth mask will not prevent you from breathing in respiratory droplets which carry a virus, like COVID-19.
- Some people with COVID-19 have mild to no symptoms, and may be spreading the virus unknowingly. Cloth masks could help cut down how far the virus spreads.
- Cloth masks can prevent you from touching your face, and can be a visual reminder to practice social distancing.
Surprising/a shock? Yet, many fail to see what can and should be done.
Wow! WAKE UP!
🤔 A world leader: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/22/us/coronavirus-news-live-updates.html
I will soon rest my share:
What part do you play? Want to be out there again? Going stir crazy at home?
This list isn’t comprehensive, of course, but it’s a good place to start. My hope is that it can provide words for us as we pray collectively (if also virtually!) as a church body. We believe there is a God who bends his ear to listen, and so we pray:
1. For the sick and infected: God, heal and help. Sustain bodies and spirits. Contain the spread of infection.
2. For our vulnerable populations: God, protect our elderly and those suffering from chronic disease. Provide for the poor, especially the uninsured.
3. For the young and the strong: God, give them the necessary caution to keep them from unwittingly spreading this disease. Inspire them to help.
4. For our local, state, and federal governments: God, help our elected officials as they allocate the necessary resources for combatting this pandemic. Help them to provide more tests.
5. For our scientific community, leading the charge to understand the disease and communicate its gravity: God, give them knowledge, wisdom, and a persuasive voice.
6. For the media, committed to providing up-to-date information: God, help them to communicate with appropriate seriousness without causing panic.
7. For consumers of media, looking to be well-informed: God, help us find the most helpful local information to equip us to be good neighbors. Keep us from anxiety and panic, and enable us to implement the recommended strategies, even at a cost to ourselves.
8. For those with mental health challenges who feel isolated, anxious, and helpless: God, provide them every necessary support.
9. For the homeless, unable to practice the protocols of social distancing in the shelter system: Protect them from disease, and provide isolation shelters in every city.
10. For international travelers stuck in foreign countries: God, help them return home safely and quickly.
11. For Christian missionaries throughout the world, especially in areas with high rates of infection: God, provide them with words of hope, and equip them to love and serve those around them.
12. For workers in a variety of industries facing layoffs and financial hardship: God, keep them from panic, and inspire your church to generously support them.
13. For families with young children at home for the foreseeable future: God, help mothers and fathers to partner together creatively for the care and flourishing of their children. For single mothers and fathers, grow their networks of support.
14. For parents who cannot stay home from work but must find care for their children: God, present them with creative solutions.
15. For those in need of regular therapies and treatments that must now be postponed: God, help them to stay patient and positive.
16. For business leaders making difficult decisions that affect the lives of their employees: God, give these women and men wisdom, and help them to lead self-sacrificially.
17. For pastors and church leaders faced with the challenges of social distancing: God, help them to creatively imagine how to pastor their congregants and love their cities well.
18. For college and university students, whose courses of study are changing, whose placements are canceled, whose graduation is uncertain: God, show them that while life is uncertain, their trust is in you.
19. For Christians in every neighborhood, community, and city: May your Holy Spirit inspire us to pray, to give, to love, to serve, and to proclaim the gospel, that the name of Jesus Christ might be glorified around the world.
20. For frontline health care workers, we thank you for their vocational call to serve us. We also pray:
- God, keep them safe and healthy. Keep their families safe and healthy.
- God, help them to be knowledgeable about the diagnosis and treatment of this disease, as well as the changing protocols.
- God, help them to stay clear-minded in the midst of the surrounding panic.
- God, deliver them from anxiety for their own loved ones (aging parents, children, spouses, roommates).
- God, give them compassion for every patient in their care.
- God, provide for them financially, especially if they fall ill and are unable to work.
- God, help Christians in health care to exhibit extraordinary peace, so that many would ask about the reason for their hope. Give them opportunities to proclaim the gospel.
God, we trust that you are good and do good. Teach us to be your faithful people in this time of global crisis. Help us to follow in the footsteps of our faithful shepherd, Jesus, who laid down his life for the sake of love. Glorify his name as you equip us with everything needed for doing your will. Amen.